Saturday, April 9, 2022

Day 152 : Super wet weather Bordeaux

After spending over a week in Thierry's house and with his housemate Delphine, I have decided to make my way to Bordeaux before I overstay my welcome! 😂😅

I booked a 11.40am Flixbus departing from Bayonne, which will arrive in Bordeaux at about 2.15pm.

After having my last packet of instant noodles I recently bought from France Asia for breakfast, I packed my stuff (it was nice not having to have to pack and unpack my bag for a week!). Thierry sent me to the bus stop in Bayonne and we said our goodbyes.

The weather was really nice in Bayonne when I left, but unfortunately it was super wet in Bordeaux - I had been keeping my eye on the weather forecast over the last few days, so the wet weather didn't come as a surprise, but I was hoping that it would had cleared faster. 

I decided to head out in any case to get the "lay of the land". So armed with an umbrella in one hand, I went out exploring the streets. Not the most fun to be walking in this weather. 

The first attraction I got to was Monument aux Girondins at Place des Quinconces - one of the largest city squares in Europe, with wonderful fountains and monuments from the days of the French Revolution. The fountains weren't operating when I was there, but it was already wet enough from the rain. 

Walking along, I soon arrived to the Grand-Théâtre at Place de la Comédie and Opéra National de Bordeaux. I really liked the Sculpture Sanna by Jaume Plensa, which had been uniquely designed with an interesting 3D profile. 

This was also the start of Rue Sainte-Catherine Shopping Street, the main shopping street in Bordeaux

On the same street, I saw a number of stores selling Canelé.. It was only then that I realised that it is a specialty of the Bordeaux region. I had to try one!

This being my 1st taste of Canelé, I don't have any benchmark to compare against. I liked the caremalised outer crispy coating, but I didn't really enjoy the centre which was somewhat on the chewier side than I prefer. 

I continued along towards the Bordeaux Cathedral and Pey Berland Tower. The inside of the Bordeaux Cathedral was nice and a way to also get away from the wet weather outside briefly. 

I walked around the town centre a while longer, and as much as I really enjoyed Bordeaux city, I was more keen to get out of the rain and was hoping to get dinner early so that I can also get back to the hostel early. 

I came across Le Vieux Chaudron which had a menu I really like, and for not too much $. They were nice enough to let me enter and take a sit before the restaurant officially opens as it was raining outside - most places around the city only open for dining at about 7pm. 

I ordered a Warmed Goat Cheese Salad, a Duck Confit and a Tarte Tartin. 


The goat cheese was really good, Duck Confit was unfortunately slightly on the dry side and I would had preferred if the skin would be more crisp. 

When I finished my meal, I signalled to the staff from a distance for the bill, which they then signalled back that I was to pay at the counter.

When I got to the counter, one of the waiters teased and said if I was signalling to write him a love letter 😂

Before I left they said "bisou bisou" which literally translates as kiss kiss. Cheeky fellows! 😂

Nice to be back in the room, which was cosy and comfortable, and will be home for the next 3 nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...