Monday, April 11, 2022

Day 155 : Bye Bordeaux, Hello San Sebastian

Last day in Bordeaux with a nice breakfast at the hostel.

As it's a Sunday, it's also street Market day in Bordeaux, with lots of vendors and stands set up along the Quay near where I stay. Lots of different food and offerings, both raw and cooked.

I wanted to also visit Marché des Capucins, a permanent market that opens almost daily, which required walking through the city centre.

I decided to try Canelé from a different store, as I felt the last one I tried was average.

This one was a lot better with a nicely caramelised crust, and slightly moist and not overtly chewy on the inside.


It's 4 times more expensive though...

At Marché des Capucins, there were a lot of different variety and offerings, including cooked food from different countries. And oysters! ❤️

I found a store and ordered a set which comes with half a dozen #3 oysters + wine + bread for €9. Finally I get to have oysters!
I can taste the sea as I ate into them, yum!

I decided to take a walk wanting to visit the cathedral. But I got distracted 😂😅

And so another 6 more oysters! I got an extra prawn because the owner somehow forgot about my order and I think he felt bad, so a bonus!

These were also #3 oysters, but it felt a lot bigger than the last batch I had at the market. These were a lot yummier and cheaper too! €5 for 1/2 dozen.

And I couldn't resist ordering another 1/2 dozen because they were just too good! 😋

I love my oysters! ❤️❤️❤️ Love it so much that I almost didn't make it on the bus, reaching the bus stop just 5 mins before the bus was scheduled to leave 😜

If I had missed a tram connection enroute, I would certainly had missed the bus... And all because of oysters.. hahah....

The bus to San Sebastian took about 3.5hr, arriving at about 5.30pm. It's super hot in San Sebastian reaching about 25°C and it was already 6.30pm.

I checked into Accomodation, which has a roof top garden - it may had been part of a church previously?


Time to explore San Sebastian, famed for its nice sandy beach. There were lots of people as I walked along the Promenade of Playa de la Concha.

Came across a sand art in exchange for a donation.

And then there's a different kind of art 😂

The beach continues on to Playa de Ondarreta, a smaller stretch than Playa de la Concha, which leads to an art work installation called El Peine del Viento or
The Comb of the Wind.

And then it was time to make my way back to the city centre, going back along the Promenade.

Back in the centre, I was drawn towards the noise, and came to a square with huge crowds! It appears to be an after event party.

I am starving so off to look for a Pintxos bar! There are no labels, so it's just seeing what appeals to you on the display and point to order.

This clearly has something to do with sea urchin, but I don't get much of the taste of sea urchin in it

Then I decided to order something from their hot menu with a glass of txakoli. Cod stuffed pepper on txipiron ink black sauce and Croquettes

Needed some dessert, this ice cream store had the longest queue! 
I ordered a Salted Caramel + Orange Chocolate. This was a very generous portion and so good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...