Thursday, February 17, 2022

Day 100 - 102 : Athens

It's been 10.5 years since I was last in Athens. With 4 nights in Athens, I had chosen to randomly roam about the city discovering sites which I may not had encountered before, and there were sooooo many!

Syntagma Square & National Gardens
My first main stop was Syntagma Square, to see the changing of the guards. I've seen them the last time, but they are just so fun to watch that I had to go again.

They are wearing a different outfit this time, possibly because this is their winter uniform, vs the summer uniform that I saw the last time I was around.

The whole procession took over 10 mins, as the soldiers marched meticulously in a unique manner seen no where else! Definitely recommend seeing them when in Athens, especially since it is free!

Next to Syntagma Square is the National Garden, which came recommended by a local. I didn't visit this previously and it was nice just to take a quick look around. Lots of green, and even a small zoo!

Zappeion
Located just next to the National Gardens. Named after Evangelos Zappas, a businessman from Epirus who played a major role in starting the Zappian Olympic Games, which laid the path for the modern Olympic Games. He offered to sponsor the revival of the Modern Olympic Games and soon the first modern Olympics were held at the Panathenaic Stadium Athens in 1896.

The Zappeion building is a tribute to this great man who brought the Olympic Games back into the modern world. Having played the role of the official Olympic village for the Olympic games of 1896 and host of the fencing events, the Zappeion building today is used for conferences and trade events.

Areopagus Hill
Located close to the Acropolis on top of the rocks, with 360° view of the city. 
I also went to catch the sunset on the 2nd day in Athens, and appears many people had the same idea.


Beaches of Athens
I also went to visit the beaches, but honestly, it's something that can be skipped if you don't have the time.

Originally intending to visit Piraeus, I was dissuaded against it, as I was told it was not the nicest. The recommendation was to go to Glynfada instead.

And since the tram ticket allowed me to also hop on and off within a 90 min period, I also headed to Voula - not impressed with Voula, as there were a lot of sections that were closed off or were private beaches.

Glynfada was better. There's also a town next to it, which I didn't visit.


Athens Archaeological sites
Athens is also famous for their numerous Archaeological sites.

I decided not to enter the archaeological sites this time (most can be seen from the outside), with the exception of Acropolis, just because I was keen to see how much progress has been made.

The Archaeological sites are now costing about €30 to see all 7 of the main ones. You can also pay to see them individually, and during the winter months, they are at reduced prices (or half price from normal), with the reduced rates at mostly €4 or €6 per site, with the exception of Acropolis at €10 during winter. 

Keramikos Archaeological Site

Temple of Olympian Zeus


Not sure why there's so much scaffolding around the structure. There weren't any when I visited it 10 years back

Hadrian's Arch


Located just next to Temple Olympian Zeus, and with no fee on this.

Roman Agora


Hadrian's Library

Ancient Agora
This wasn't so easy to see from the outside but the key attractions here are the Theatre of Dionysus and Stoa of Attalos.


I find it really funny how Greeks decided to build a metro through an archaeological site!

Acropolis and the famous Parthenon (see other post)

There were also quite a few cool neighbourhoods that I discovered while randomly walking the streets of Athens, such as Lisiou

And of course shops around Monastiraki Square 
Even this spray paint store located in Monastiraki is still around after 10 years, albeit with some modern face lift. Guess graffiti survives both good times as well as bad times for them to survive this long! 

Food
I needed to satisfy an Asian craving especially since it's been over a month that I had Asian food - probably the last one was in Serbia for Korean ramyeon. So the 1st evening I headed straight to an Asian groceries supermarket and purchased  instant noodles and Wang Wang rice crackers.


Ceci Hong Kong Restaurant for prawn rice roll and Glutinous rice with chicken.

I've got pretty high standards for dim sum, so this in my opinion was below average. But because I know ingredients aren't always available in such places, I can give these 2 dim sum items a pass.

Hanoi Athens for Vietnamese beef pho.
I rate Vietnamese places by the quality of the pho they serve and this one passed the test - the broth was flavourful and there was a generous serving of beef slices (I would had preferred it a little less cooked). It also has beansprouts in it.

It could do with additional basil leaves served on the side though.

Ended the meal with a fortune cookie... Funny advice! 😂😂😂

Anyone wants to buy Toto? 

Fruits at Monastiraki 
I remember the last time I was in Athens, I bought really cheap cherries at the Square
They are still around! No cherries, but really cheap and huge strawberries at Euro 4/kg.

I ended up buying from the stores on 2 different occasions because the strawberries were really sweet too. 

And also some mandarins. 
This Indian guy was really funny. He asked where I was from, and I said Singapore, and the next thing he said, "Oh, Mustafa Centre" 😂😂😂

Mustafa Centre is definitely world famous! 

Now for Greek Food
Ariston Pastries

They are popular for this item called "Kourou" - traditional handmade cheese pie.

This is what it looks like inside.

I also ordered the chicken mushroom pie which was really yum!


Oikeio

This place came recommended by Marie, whom lives in the same dorm room, but works at Pella Inn Hostel. The staff whom served me recommended me to try the meatballs rolled with cabbage in a egg-lemon sauce.

No regrets, as it was really good and I cleaned up the whole plate very nicely with the serving of bread.

Scholarchio
A recommendation from the hostel, prices were decent.

I ordered a Moussaka since it was one item which I haven't had on the trip. The dish came hot, but unfortunately the centre wasn't very warm, so I could taste the gamey meat taste which I am not a big fan of. The smell would likely be less obvious if it had been served hotter.

Atlantikos
This place was so good I went there twice during my stay and had the seafood platter!

Decently priced too at Euro 8 for the seafood platter.


La Greche
This ice cream place was also recommended by Marie. Not cheap though.

I went for flavours Mint Straciatella & Dark Chocolate with Plums and Rum.

Bars
The World's 50 Best Bars, of which 2 are in Athens.

Baba Au Rum
I ordered the Baba Zombie, made using a base of few different rums

Clumsies is the other World's 50 Best Bars, but unfortunately when I was there, they were closed for the week 😢

A for Athens (best for views!)
I had originally checked out another bar but didn't like the view, and headed over to A for Athens which came recommended by a few people.

In my opinion, this is the best bar with a view in town - you'll get a view of the Acropolis as well as the Monastiraki Square.

Drinks are more expensive here though, but I guess you pay for the view. Strongly recommend going to the open rooftop section. I ended up staying here for almost 2 hours, arriving at about 4.30pm and leaving about 6.30pm, shortly just after the sun set.

It did get way too windy and chilly for me in the last half hour, but it was nice to see the twilight view of Athens with Acropolis in the background.

Pella Inn Rooftop
This came as a bonus, as Marie happened to be working when I walked by. Outside guests aren't actually allowed (because of covid) but she made an exception for me. The rooftop was previously a bar, but they had temporarily closed it (also because of Covid).

View of Acropolis from here is also amazing.

Cafés
There were also a lot of fancy looking cafes and Instagramable spots, which I didn't try.

One which impressed me most was "Little Kook". I was attracted by the lights from a distance and was so amazed by the entire area - soooooo whimsical. I believe it's a fancy cafe for desserts and sweets.

There was also Ellyz with all the flowers, and coincidentally it was Valentine's Day when I walked past. 
And Hans & Gretal sweet store
Not sure when I will be back in Athens, hopefully when I do come, more progress would had been made on Acropolis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...