Friday, February 25, 2022

Hello Porto!

The flight from Malta to Porto took about 3hrs, a little longer than I expected with an almost full flight. 

It's also my first time taking Ryan Air, a budget airlines often heard by travellers wanting to travel cheap - this leg only cost me Euro 40.36, which includes checking in a 20kg luggage. A very good deal I would have to say. 
 
I arrived into Porto with colourful red hues in the skies at about 6.45pm, just when the sun had set. So beautiful! 
I had also gained an hour, as Portugal is 1 hour behind Malta

As it was already dark by the time I got out of the airport, I didn't want to be travelling with public transport and so I called for an Uber. Within minutes, I got a ride. 

The driver was fairly quiet the 1st half of the way, but as we were approaching the city, he explained there is heavy traffic at this hour and that we just need to cross the bridge and we will be able to make our way quite quickly. 

He also commented that the hotel I am staying in is in a very good spot, with amazing views of Porto city and the bridge. I didn't know what he meant until we arrived at the hotel and the view was so picturesque. 
I was also very surprised at how little people there were out on the streets. 

The Uber driver also gave me a tip of eating and drinking on the side of the river I am at, instead of on the other side as the prices on the other side can be rather ridiculous - €7 or €8 for a beer vs just €2 or €3 on my side. 

The House of Sandeman Hotel was amazing - from the reception setting, the ambience, and the rooms and beds. It now makes me think I should have stayed longer. 
By the time I got settled in to the room, it was already 8pm and I headed out to get a quick dinner. The reception suggested Mercado Beira-Rio, a market hall / food court style of place. 

While walking towards the Mercado, I came across a building called Casa Portuguesa do Pastel de Bacalhau - Gaia, and I decided to walk in. 
The decor was out of this world. They sell Pastel de Bacalhau, pastry stuffed with cod fish. I wasn't keen on having one tonight, but would have to come back here again and try maybe over the next couple nights. 

I ordered a Marisco de Arroz (seafood rice) - This was so wholesome and such food for the soul.
So happy that there's finally good prawns too! The prawns in Greece and Malta and most parts of Balkans had been somewhat disappointing, as it lack the freshness and the crunch.

I spotted a shop called Nata D'ouro just outside the Mercado, and made it a point to pop in and order a Portuguese Egg Tart, or as known in Portugal Pastéis de Nata.
OMG, this was sooooo good. It's even better than those I had in Macau
I think I might just eat myself silly in Portugal!

1st day in Portugal and I am already loving it! ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...