Saturday, February 19, 2022

Day 103 : Hello Malta!

I am super annoyed this morning. 

I sent my laundry in for washing in the morning 2 days ago. The turnaround time was 1 day. 

When I asked for my laundry last night, they said they need to put it in the dryer and I can expect it ready in the morning. 

This morning when I collected my laundry at 8am, it was inside the laundry bag I gave them, and the laundry is wet! 

WTF! 

Isn't it common sense to return laundry dry? They had the whole night to get it dry! 

I made them put in the dryer for another hour but it was still wet when I got it the 2nd time round, although just a little dryer when I first received it. 

I have no choice but to pack my luggage with wet laundry. 😭

I am hoping it doesn't smell when I check into my next accomodation in Malta

The train journey to the airport was about an hour. I am however excited to hop on a plane again; the 1st flight since flying from Singapore
Thankfully my checked in luggage is still within weight limit with damp clothes 🙄

Being on Aegean Air which is a Star Alliance partner, I got access to the business lounge, and the food available in the lounge also became my lunch. 
I was browsing through their wine selections and came across a bottle of Tsiporou. I recently tried Tsiporou for the 1st time while in Kalampaka. It's a Greek Spirit and I much prefer this to Ouzo. 
Tsipouro is distilled from grapes, with all of their personality intact. The notes of grape interplay with the aromatics for a more complex drink with more intense flavors overall, aromatics included.

It's also said to be the strongest of the Greek drinks. Tsipouro is a high-octane alternative to Ouzo. It’s usually around 42% alcohol, and can get stronger from there.

I poured myself a glass to accompany the food I selected. 
The flight to Malta leaves at 2.30pm, with boarding at 2pm, giving me over an hour at the lounge to relax. 
The flight was faster than expected, originally scheduled for 2hr 10mins, it only took us 1hr 15 mins, as we landed at 2.45pm. Malta is also 1 hour behind Greece, so I gained back an hour again 😁
Immigration clearance was really smooth and easy, having just need to show my vaccination cert and the PLF. 

I had a slight issue trying to find my transfer as I was directed by different people to different counters. I finally found it, and was pleasantly surprised I got a private transfer, as I had originally booked a shared shuttle. 
And finally I arrived into my hotel at Carnifor at St Paul's Bay at 4pm, not a very luxurious hotel, but it was really cheap for a night (less than €12) and the main reason why I booked it, was because it was close to the car rental company. 
First order of arrival was to start finding places to dry my wet laundry! It also took a combination of drying it partially using a hair dryer, in hopes that it will be fully dry by tomorrow morning. 

And then I quickly went out exploring St Paul's Bay, especially with just 1 hour left till sunset. 

I walked over to Qawra Point Beach, the furthest point on the Cape - super rocky. 
And then I made my way round the coast towards Buggiba (the main town centre), passing the Acquarium and also catching the sunset on the way round. 
Buggiba seems rather laid back with not much exciting to see. 
The only thing I wanted to check out was St Paul's Shipwreck Church, mostly because I was attracted by the name. 
It was closed when I was there, but it was interesting to find these marble plaque in different languages on the wall. This is the English version. 
I then headed over to Venus Restaurant, which had a lot of good reviews according to Google, and ordered one of their daily specials - Mussels in white wine and garlic. 
I also found out that tap water isn't drinkable in Malta from the locals, though a few sites on the Internet states otherwise. I should better trust the locals on this and look for bottled water in a store on the way back. 

One thing I was really glad to see was that toilet paper can be thrown into the toilet - there were signs in numerous places in Greece which indicates that this isn't recommended. 🤔





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...