Monday, March 7, 2022

Day 119 : Madeirã to Lisbon

I took an easy Jet flight today which departed at 9.20am. One of the most horrible flight and for the 1st time felt discriminated on a flight.


Long story but mostly it was by 1 air stewardess and 1 steward. I was the only Asian on the flight and so I can only regard it as discrimination. When I asked for the names of those 2 with another staff (they were the only ones who didn't display a name tag), the other staff didn't want to tell me, even though it is my right, and asked me to ask the person directly. When I asked the person directly, she gave me a name, but refused me when I insisted on seeing her name tag.  What a let down to a nice trip out in Madeira.  

After disembarking, I caught a metro and headed straight to the "Living Lounge Hostel", and was entertained during the commute with train entertainment such as this guy playing with an accordion while carrying a dog.  


Living Lounge Hostel was very well located near the metro station and main square.  I also specifically chose this area because at least I wouldn't have to deal with climbing the hilly Lisbon which the city is famous for.  I was pleasantly surprised with the layout of the common area, which makes one feel like home.  My bed wasn't ready as it was still early, so I went out to explore Lisbon city.  


The streets were nice and quaint and what a beautiful square (Praca do Comercio)!


I next headed over to Time Out Market to grab lunch.  Located in the historic Mercado da Ribeira building, this iconic market situated near Cais do Sodré in Lisbon was transformed into a bustling food and cultural hub, showcasing a diverse array of culinary delights, featuring stalls from some of Lisbon's top chefs and eateries, along with cultural events, workshops, and live performances.


This place was super packed and really hard to find empty seats to get a meal.  Most stores also had very long queues. I did find one with not so long queues and ordered this - Bacalhau (cod fish) with tomato rice.


I probably won't come here again as it's difficult to have to queue at different stores for different food with this amount of crowd, and in my opinion, the food was just ok.  

I then headed back to the hostel to check in, passing through some quaint pretty spots and also picked up a Nata along the way.  


The bedroom I was assigned was pretty cool and featured an interesting ceiling light!


And then out I went again, as there's a lot of places I would like to check out in and around Lisbon and I needed to make the best of any available time.  Te intention is to check out a couple of Miradors before it gets dark and to get the lay of the land.

The first one is Miradouro da Graça


And then the walk to Miradouro da Senhora do Monte, cutting through cute neighbourhoods.


This is probably the best viewpoint in Lisbon, being the highest point in the neighbourhood and with the view of the sea and city panorama, as well as the castle!


And then the sun peeped through the clouds and you can constantly see planes suddenly appearing out of nowhere as they descend from those thick clouds at the top.



The other good thing about the hostel, they make dinners for the guests on a few nights at an affordable price.  

Look at this beautiful meal and served with wine too! Yum!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...