Sunday, March 20, 2022

Day 132 : Guimarães Day Trip

The skies have finally cleared and the sun is out! Lovely! 

I popped by my favourite bakery (actually the only bakery I have tried in Braga!) for another of the yummy almond croissant and also tried another item, name which I have no idea of. It was OK, but the almond croissant still takes the cake! 
The town centre is back to life in the day as I walked through to get to the Central bus station, to do a day trip to Guimaraes
There wasn't much information online about bus schedules and routes to get there, but a trip to the Braga main bus station shows that Transdev makes regular trips, which takes about 50 mins and €3.35 each way. 

I was told that while Braga is more Roman in style, Guimarães is more medieval. What I found were numerous squares in this town, starting with Largo do Toural. 

I next headed to Largo da Oliveira - a square which contains the church Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira. 
And just next to Largo da Oliveira is another beautiful square called Praça de São Tiago, with a number of cafes and restaurants that were just starting to open for the day when I walked by. 
By chance, one of the council buildings was having a photo exhibit of what Guimarães looked like in the 60s and 70s, and I always enjoyed seeing images of the past and comparing to current day.
Most of the buildings still looks the same, though there's some change in use from residential to commercial in a number of places. 

I continued to aimlessly walk the streets of Guimarães and soon arrived at Largo da República do Brasil. I was very impressed by the beautifully landscapes garden that lines up all the way to the church Igreja e Oratórios de Nossa Senhora da Consolação e Santos Passos. 
I walked over to Guimarães Castle and Palace Duques de Bragança. I didn't go into them, as I wasn't keen on paying for anymore churches, fortresses or palaces. I did however hear that this was where Portugal was founded. 
Walking back to the city centre, I walked past Muralha de Guimarães - fortress walls of Guimarães. 
Shortly after found a restaurant O Petisko for my lunch spot. 

I am very amazed by how the set lunch costs only €5.50, which came with soup, bread, salad, a main (Hake Fillet with rice and fries) and even a jug of wine which easily filled about 2.5 glasses. How do they make the money? I was definitely happy, both from the food and wine after the meal! 
And then it was back to Braga, catching the 4.10pm bus and arriving back at about 5.10pm, where I spent some time walking through the streets of Braga

I was still full from lunch, and decided to just have ice cream for dinner!
Who would have guessed that Cream Cheese with Pumpkin is a good combination in ice cream. Other flavours pictured : Salted Caramel & Straciatella. The Straciatella is probably the best I ever had with lots of chocolate chunks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...