Sunday, March 27, 2022

Day 140 : Bilbao

Bus from Santander to Bilbao was just a short 1.5hr, and having taken the 11.15am bus, I arrived into Bilbao at about 1pm. 
It was still too early for check in at La Troupe (a hostel I can strongly recommend), and so after leaving my bags in the luggage room, I headed out to seek for food. 
I walked towards Mercado de la Ribera, which apparently is the largest Mercado in Europe? It was super crowded both outside and inside the Mercado, possibly being a Saturday, everyone's out enjoying the beautiful weather and the weekend. 
I decided on a mixture of Pintxos with a glass of sangria 
- Battered Cantabrian anchovies with red peppers 
- Spicy meatball with grated cheese and BBQ sauce 
- Squid roll with alioli and cuttlefish 
- Prawns on skewer
After eating, I took a walk through the narrow streets of the historic centre and passing by Cathedral de Santiago de Bilbao
I headed back to quickly check in, before popping out again and buying a ticket to enter the Guggenheim museum
You haven't been to Bilbao if you haven't been to the Guggenheim. I didn't know what to expect when I went to the Guggenheim, but seeing that it was such a huge building, I expected more exhibitions. 
The displays were also too contemporary for my liking and so I was able to finish going through the various exhibits within 1+ hour. 

Some of the more interesting exhibits include :

Puppy
Jean Dubuffet
"Profile to the Right" Lithographs 
Andy Worhol's Marilyn Monroe
Amselm Kiefe "The Renowned Orders of the Night" 

Cubanism / Surrealism 

Robert Delaunay
"Nude at the Dressing Table" 
Maria Blanchard
"The Basket Maker" 
Jean Metzinger
"The Blue Bird" 
André Lhote
"Port of Call" 
Jeff Koons "Tulips" 
Anish Kapoor "Tall Tree and the Eye"
Louise Bourgeois "Maman" 

I walked over to the Museum of Bella Arte, which was free to enter. 
Unfortunately a lot of art work have only descriptions in Spanish and another language which I can't figure out what it is - possibly the local Basque dialect.

There were some good stuff, but I skimmed through most of it since I couldn't understand much background about the drawing. 

This is by Jan Mandjin, title no idea,  
António de Guezala
"Revolving Doors of Begoña de la Sora" 
Carlos Ribera
"Milkmaid in the sun"
Agustin Ibarrola
"In Guernica"
Made up of 10 oil on canvas each measuring 2m x 1m.

Having a craving for something Asian, I found a ramen place nearby, which was called Ohtaku. Dinner sitting only starts at 8.30pm, and when I arrived at about 8.20pm, there was already a short queue. I got a table at the bar counter and within 15 minutes, the entire restaurant was full. 
Ohtaku is said to be the better ramen place around here, but it wasn't up to my standard. 

Noodles were overcooked and they used 63° sous vide egg instead of Onsen egg. Such a pity. 
I was exhausted after a day out and decided to just head back to the hostel and have an early night. 

As I walked back, there were crowds of people in the alley, just 1 min away from where I am staying...
This is Saturday night crowd and I would imagine it's likely to get busier later as the Spanish usually start late! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...