Friday, March 25, 2022

Day 138 : Santander

I took a more luxurious bus to Santander, located 2hr 15 mins away, it even came with a personalised TV screen, but I didn't use it as I think most of the programmes are in Spanish.

As we were about to approach the city, there were loud horning and then I saw a long line of trucks on the road. Apparently this is a protest which had been ongoing for days, against the sharp rise in diesel prices.

The irony is that by being on the road continuously, they are wasting more fuel.

I arrived into Santander slightly behind schedule because of the traffic situation in the city, but still in time to make it for the cut off hour to check in before the staff goes on their lunch break.

I found myself in a private room with a queen sized bed with an attached toilet all for the price that I would had to pay for a bed in a hostel.

I quickly headed out to explore the city, to find that the strike is still on going. 
I walked towards Centro Botin, a very cool looking building, used as an art exhibition space.

I loved the architecture and beaches too!

I continued walking along the extremely windy coast towards Palacio de la Magdalena.

This is a very classic looking palace.

I continued walking around the peninsula and was soon surprised to find seals, sealions and penguins in special enclosures located next to the sea.

They are so adorable aren't they?

I definitely spent a lot more time at the peninsula than expected.

I continued my walk further down the coast towards Playa del Sardinero, a very wide sandy beach. The architecture of the buildings near the beach is also really nice.

Time to make my way back to the city through a different path. You can't believe how glad I was to see escalators and travellators on this stretch up towards Rio de la Pila.

The view from Funicular Rio de la Pila was nice. It was then to take a funicular back down the other side of the hill, that will lead me back into the city. 
This is where the tourist in me shows when I get intrigued by the funicular and the escalators, when it is just a normal means of the locals to get home. 

I must say Santander is a very smart city too, seeing that the escalators were designed for the comfort of the residents in mind.

10 mins later, and I am back in the city. Surprised to see another protest, this time for a cause called Sahara Libre?

I was so exhausted by the time I got back to the hotel and not wanting a big meal for dinner, I bought a microwave meal from the supermarket, and topped it with some truffles from Croatia, and then sprinkled on some chilli flakes.

As good as a restaurant meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 169 - 170 : Flight back to Singapore

I left Stefano's house at 7.45am to catch the 8.07am train to the airport, which later required switching to an airport shuttle from T2 ...